PRESS RELEASE SOURCE: CLOUDPR
To celebrate the release of their astonishing debut album, Up The Bracket, The Libertines are releasing a 20th Anniversary Edition on multiple formats, through Rough Trade, on October 21st 2022.
In addition to a remaster of the original Up The Bracket album, produced by Mick Jones (The Clash), the Super Deluxe Edition also includes a remarkable 65 previously unreleased recordings including many original demos, radio sessions and live recordings all helping to chart the making of Up The Bracket, plus a live recording from the 100 club in 2002. It also contains a 60 page book with a foreword by Matt Wilkinson, new interviews with the band by Anthony Thornton and many unseen photos and memorabilia.
To coincide with the release the Libertines will be performing the album in its entirety along with a selection of choice nuggets from their peerless back catalogue. For the Wembley show, for one night only, the band have chosen two of their favourite bands from the class of 2002 to support them – The Cribs and The Paddingtons. Also on the bill will be rising star, and darling of the Arsenal terraces, Louis Dunford, along with recording artist and DJ, Amazonica, on the decks.
The full dates are:
JULY1st Manchester Castlefield Bowl 23rd London Wembley Arena 30th Bristol O2 Academy SOLD OUT AUGUST Cardiff University Great Hall 8th Edinburgh O2 Academy
The Libertines also appear at four UK Festivals this summer: JUNE24th Pilton, Somerset Glastonbury Festival SOLD OUT AUGUST Bingley Bingley Weekender 28th Portsmouth Victorious Festival SEPTEMBER 2nd Coventry Godiva Festival
The release will be available on the following formats:
Super Deluxe Box set – strictly numbered limited edition of 4,000:
Vinyl ‘Up The Bracket’ (Remastered),’Live at the 100 Club’, 7” blue vinyl ‘Up The Bracket’ and 7” red Vinyl ‘Time For Heroes’ (in their original sleeves), 2 CD’s of Out-takes, Demos, Radio sessions and live recordings, cassette of 20 early demos, DVD including HD versions of ‘Up The Bracket,’ Time For Heroes,’I get Along’ & exclusive bonus footage and a 60 page Book.
Deluxe Double Vinyl, ‘Up The Bracket’ (Remastered) and ‘Live at the 100 Club’ on black and Indie store exclusive on red vinyl.
Deluxe Double CD, ‘Up The Bracket’ (Remastered) and ‘Live at the 100 Club’.
Digital download, ‘Up The Bracket’ (Remastered)and ‘Live at the 100 Club’
Vinyl 1 ‘Up The Bracket’ Remastered 2022 (Black Vinyl)
- Death On The Stairs
- Time For Heroes
- Boys In The Band
- Radio America
- Up The Bracket
- Tell The King
- The Boy Looked At Johnny
- The Good Old Days
- I Get Along
Vinyl 2 – ‘100 Club Live 4/10/02’ (White Vinyl)
1. Horrorshow2. Vertigo3. The Delaney4. What A Waster 5. Begging6. Time For Heroes7. Death On The Stairs8. Boys In The Band9. I Get Along
- 7” Vinyl – Up The Bracket (Blue Vinyl)
A. ‘Up The Bracket’ AA. ‘Boys In The Band’
- 7” Vinyl – Time For Heroes (Red Vinyl)
- ‘Time For Heroes’ B. ‘The 7 Deadly Sins (demo)
CD 1 – Album Studio Outtakes
1. Up The Bracket – Take 42. Vertigo – Take 2 3. The Ha Ha Wall – Take 14. Horror Show – Take 35. Bangkok – Take 1 6. Time For Heroes – Take 3 7. Begging – Take 1 8. What A Waster – Take 1 9. Breck Road Lover – Take 1 10. Never Never – Take 2 11. Tell The King – Take 1 12. The Domestic – Take 1 13. Don’t Talk To Me – Take 1 14. The Wolfman – Take 2 15. Radio America – Take 2 16. The Good Old Days – Take 1 17. The 7 Deadly Sins – Take 3 18. Sweets – Take 419. Mocking Bird – Take 6 20. Boys In The Band – Take 1 21. Skag & Bone Man – Take 2
CD 2 – Demos/Radio Sessions/B-Sides/Live etc –
1. Vertigo – Demo 2. The Boy Looked At Johnny – Demo3. Death On The Stairs – Demo4. Horror Show – Demo5. All At Sea (Misty) – Demo6. Wolfman – Demo7. Plan A – Demo 8. Up The Bracket – Evening Session 9. Boys In The Band – Evening Session 10. Time For Heroes – Evening Session 11. I Get Along/Mayday – Evening Session 12. Jo Whiley – Christmas Live Lounge 13. Skag & Bone Man – Up The Bracket B-Side14. The Delaney – Up The Bracket B-Side15. Plan A – Up The Bracket B-Side16. General Smuts (Demo) – Time For Heroes B-Side 17. Bangkok (Demo) – Time For Heroes – B-Side18. Mr. Finnegan (Demo) – Time For Heroes B-Side 19. Sally Brown (Demo) – Time For Heroes B-Side 20. The 7 Deadly Sins (Demo) – Time For Heroes B-Side21. Up The Bracket – Live at The ICA – 3/6/0222. Mayday – Live at Nottingham Rock City – 30/10/0223. Begging – Live at Divan Du Monde, paris – 7/11/0224. The Boy Looked At Johnny – Live at Divan Du Monde, Paris – 7/11/0225. Death On The Stairs – Alt Guitar Version
HD Videos of Up The Bracket, Time For Heroes and I Get Along. Later with Jools Holland 2002 – Up The Bracket & Time For Heroes. Top Of The Pops 2003 – Time For Heroes and exclusive bonus footage.Exclusive Extras.
Cassette – Early Demos
1. I Get Along – 12/01 – Nomis Demo2. Time For Heroes – 12/01 – Nomis Demo3. Never Never – 12/01 – Nomis Demo4. Horror Show – 12/01 – Nomis Demo5. Boys In The Band – 12/01 – Nomis Demo6. Up The Bracket – 01/02 – Nomis Demo7. Begging – 01/02 – Nomis Demo8. What A Waster – 01/02 – Nomis Demo9. Skint & minted – 01/02 – Nomis Demo10. General Smuts – 01/02 – Nomis Demo11. Bangkok – 01/02 – Nomis Demo12. Mayday – 01/02 – Nomis Demo13. Mr Finnegan – 01/02 – Nomis Demo14. Tell The King – 25/1/02 – Demo15. Death On The Stairs – 25/1/02 – Demo 16. Time For Heroes – 1/3/02 – Demo17. I Get Along – 1/3/02 – Demo18. Horror Show – 1/3/02 – Demo 19. Boys In The Band – 1/3/02 – Demo20. General Smuts – 1/3/02 – Demo
Up The Bracket arrived like a raging bull in a tired post-Britpop china shop and introduced the world to The Libertines, a new gang of London bohemians, whose ragged tunes, red military tunics, opiated poetry and ‘live now pay never’ lifestyle came to define the millennial angst of the early noughties. At the heart of the band is the blood bond bromance between the ramshackle Music Hall Jagger/Richards,Peter Doherty and Carl Barat, ably assisted by the rock solid rhythm twins John Hassall and Gary Powell.
Any bookie worth his salt would have given you short odds on this quartet surviving more than a month or two, given the teetering on the brink lifestyle they chose to lead, but here we are two decades later and our Byronic heroes, though older and wiser, are still fighting the good fight and making music every bit as vital as their debut. The belief, talent and fervour that Doherty spoke of in their earliest manifesto has stood them in good stead.
Up The Bracket, justly considered one of the greatest albums of the noughties, was originally released on October 21st 2002 by Rough Trade Records. The album, a heady stew of indie rock, skiffle, blues, dub and English bucolic pop, was a huge shot in the arm to a largely redundant music scene and helped to inspire the rebirth of guitar music, going on to influence countless artists who followed in its wake.
Up The Bracket, which was produced by Mick Jones of The Clash, takes you on a wondrously poetic journey into the band’s mythical world and their fevered dreams of Albion, a land of squalid glamour, liberty, equality, fraternity, gin palaces and chip shops. Quite simply Pete, Carl, Gary and John created a hugely compelling timeless British rock’n’roll classic debut as relevant now as it was upon its release.